Gardendale-Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church hosts a local chapter of the many Royal Family Kids’ camps held each summer across the United States. Our 2017 camp (July 10th to the 14th) will be our tenth, and we are looking forward to serving more children than ever before! Some highlights of the camp:
- This week long sleepover camp is FREE and is funded completely through charitable donations and church fundraisers!
- We serve children from difficult backgrounds who are currently in the foster care system or have been in the foster care system previously.
- Camp volunteers receive extensive training in working with children who have backgrounds of abuse and neglect. Each camp counselor is assigned only two children, and a camper is always within eyesight of at least two adults. All camp volunteers understand the special needs of the children we serve.
- The age range is 6 to 11.
- CAMPERS ARE ROYALTY! During camp week, each camper can expect to be treated like a king or a queen. The children have many activity options, including frequent swimming, various sports, woodworking, crafts, a beauty parlor for the girls, and various evening activities.
- The camp location is in the Birmingham-Tuscaloosa region. The exact camp site is not disclosed for safety reasons.
- Camp volunteers have been background checked. Children are always with at least two trained adults.
- Most of our campers are clients of the Jefferson County branch of the Alabama Department of Human Resources. We have been working with Alabama DHR since our first camp in 2008.
- We have many returnee campers and returnee volunteers! Royal Family Kids’ Camp is an amazing experience for both the kids and those who serve the camp.
Camper Application Forms
Do you have a child who would like to attend the camp? Download a camper registration form (or fill out the first part online using our secure form), a horseback riding participation form, and letters to the caregivers and camper’s pediatrician below. Return the documents to David C. Ansardi, Child Placement Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), using the contact information on the forms. Please send the registration form as soon as possible to help ensure a slot for your camper. Medical information (including a copy of the camper’s immunization records) can be sent closer to camp time. Call David at 205-913-2594 if you would like additional information.
Registration forms and information for our 2017 camp:
- Online Camper Registration Form – The first parts of the camper registration form can be completed online using this secure form. Please follow instructions carefully for the rest of the application. After you fill out the online form, you will need to complete these two pages by hand, since they require signatures. You will also need to complete and send the Horseback Riding Permission Form and an updated immunization record. These items can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com, FAXed to 1-888-243-5479, or mailed to:
David Ansardi, Royal Family Kids’ Camp
Gardendale-Mt. Vernon United Methodist Churc
805 Crest Drive
Gardendale, AL 35071
NOTE: You must also send an updated copy of the camper’s immunization records before camp begins.
- Printable Camper Registration Form – This is the traditional, printed registration form which can be filled out by hand and returned by mail (see above), FAX (1-888-243-5479) , or scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you fill out the online registration form above, then you don’t need to complete this entire printable form. Just fill out the two pages that require signatures (these are linked above with the online form) and the horseback riding permission form.
Additional Documents for Camper Applicants:
- Letter to Caregiver
- Letter to Pediatrician
- Horseback Riding Permission Form – please send this with other registration documents
- Brochure with Camp Overview for Social Workers and Caregivers
- Camper Dropoff (7/10/17) and Pickup (7/14/17) Instructions – Includes a list of items campers need to bring. If your child was accepted into camp, you should have received this by email or regular mail. We have fewer camper slots this summer and a much longer waiting list than usual. If you have any questions about whether your child has a place at camp, please contact David Ansardi.
Follow the Gardendale Royal Family Kids’ Camp on Facebook.
Follow @GardendaleRFKC on Twitter.